Changes Coming to Portion of Telegraph Road
Starting this Monday, drivers will notice some changes to a section of Telegraph Road in an effort to improve traffic.
Changes are coming starting Monday on a 0.2-mile section of Telegraph Road between South Van Dorn Street and South Kings Highway, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT):
- New signs will be in place to notify drivers that left turns from southbound Telegraph Road to South Kings Highway are prohibited during rush hours (6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- The turn bay for left turns from Telegraph Road to South Van Dorn Street has been re-marked and lengthened
- VDOT engineers have also re-timed the signals at the Telegraph Road intersections with Van Dorn Street and South Kings Highway
These changes are part of ongoing efforts to improve traffic flow in the area that is scheduled to be completed by 2015.
Fairfax County has allocated $10 milllion to the following improvements:
- One turn lane from northbound Telegraph Road to South Kings Highway (Route 633)
- Single right-turn lane from southbound Telegraph Road to South Van Dorn Street
- Dual left-turn lanes from South Kings Highway to southbound Telegraph Road
- Dual left-turn lanes from South Van Dorn Street to northbound Telegraph Road
- A raised median
- Two striped, four-foot-wide on-road bike lanes
- A five-foot-wide sidewalk on the east and 10-foot-wide shared-use path on the west
- Replacement of the existing culvert carrying Dogue Creek under the road
- Storm water management facilities
- Provision for future dual left-turn lanes from northbound Telegraph Road to South Van Dorn Street
For more information about the project, please visit virginiadot.org.