Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Sandwich
An incredibly healthy sandwich.
I am partial to Mediterranean foods and a big fan of feta, so this healthy sandwich rates high with me. The filling reminds me of Spanakopita.
Spanakopita or spinach pie is a Greek savory pastry with a filling of chopped spinach, feta cheese, onions or green onions just to name a few ingredients. Instead of pastry, Italian bread is used.
For this recipe I added cooked chicken, which complements the spinach. The Pine nuts are an excellent source of protein. Toasting brings out the flavor of pine nuts. Unfortunately pine nuts are quite expensive, but there is no substitute nut that comes close to the flavor of pine nuts.
This tasty sandwich can also be served as an appetizer when cut into small bite size pieces. It never disappoints.
Σύνθετη λέξη, απο τον πούτσο και το σκαμπίλι (Enjoy your meal).
- 1 Teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ Cup green onions, chopped
- 1 lb Fresh baby spinach, cut up
- 1 Cup cooked chicken, slices
- 1 Cup (4 oz) crumbled feta chess
- ¼ Cup pine nuts, toasted*/**
- ¼ Teaspoon Sea salt
- ¼ Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 Teaspoon butter, softened
- 8 Slices Italian bread
In a large skillet , sauté onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, green onion, and cooked chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook and stir until spinach looks wilted. Stir in the feta, pine nuts, salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
Spread bread outside of the bread with butter and grill uncovered, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned. Spread mixture on bread to make sandwiches.
* To toast pine nuts, lay on a flat tray in a 350-degree F. oven for about 10 minutes, shaking halfway through. They may also be toasted on top of the stove in a heavy skillet, stirring often until they turn golden.
** Important Notice: When cooking for guests, be sure to let them know when you cook with pine nuts. Most people who are allergic to more common nuts are also allergic to pine nuts.