Hurricane Sandy Social Media Resources
Social media resources for up-to-date information on Hurricane Sandy for Fairfax County residents.
It looks like Hurricane Sandy will be combining with other storm systems over the Mid-Atlantic region, dumping inches of rain and bringing heavy winds Sunday through Tuesday.
As a preparation step, download a Twitter and Facebook app to your mobile devices and follow these accounts.
Fairfax County Social Media
- Read the Fairfax County emergency blog for constant updates.
- Follow emergency management on twitter @fairfaxcounty.
- Follow Fairfax County on facebook.
- The hashtag Fairfax County officials are using on Twitter will be #ffxstorm.
- Also follow Fairfax County Patch sites @fairfaxcopatch.
National Weather Resources
- Follow along the National Weather Service Hurricane Sandy page.
- Follow the National Weather Service on twitter @usNWSgo.
- Download this American Red Cross hurricane app.
- Follow the National Hurricane Center on facebook.
- Follow the National Hurricane Center on twitter @NHC_Atlantic.
- For a list of suggested emergency supplies you should collect for your family, visit the Virginia Department of Emergency Management Ready virginia page.
- Follow the Virginia Department of Emergency Management on twitter @vdem or on Facebook.
- Also follow Northern Virginia Patch Weather on Facebook — we'll be posting our latest regional stories there.
Local and Regional Media accounts to follow:
- Follow the Capital Weather Gang blog by the Washington Post or twitter @capitalweather.
- Follow Huffington Post DC for regional information.
- Follow @FEMARegion3 for additional information in the Mid-Atlantic region.
We know there are more valuable Twitter, Facebook and other social accounts out there. Add your suggestions to the comments section below!
Correction: an earlier version of this article listed an incorrect hashtag for the Fairfax County weather updates.