Stuff Route 1 Corridor People Say
What do you hear local residents say (or imagine them saying) all the time?
The phrase began innocuously enough with the benign Twitter feed of a semi-employed comedy writer. Justin Halpern had been forced to move back into the San Diego home of his parents in August of 2009. At the time, he started regularly posting the colorful comments that his dad, Sam, would make and called it, [Expletive] My Dad Says.
A friend of Halpern’s found the content amusing and posted the link. Next, comedian Rob Corddry tweeted the link. Within a month, The Daily Show, Laughing Squid (a popular blog in San Francisco) and actress Kristen Bell were all buzzing about it.
Fast forward to today, the feed has 2.93 million followers and has launched both a #1 New York Times best-seller titled, “Sh*t My Dad Says” and a short-lived CBS television series titled, “$#*! My Dad Says” (which starred William Shatner and won a People’s Choice Award.)
(Just a hunch, but I bet Halpern has moved out of his parents’ basement.)
Bowing to the meme’s popularity, we thought it might be entertaining to parody Halpern’s phrase with a local twist. Therefore, we’re asking readers to come up with some self-effacing and stereotypical things folks in our area might say. (As always, bonus points for sarcasm.)
Patch Game Question #8: What is the “Stuff” Route One Corridor People Say? What do you hear local residents say (or imagine they might say) all the time? (fill in your response in the comments section below.)
Here are a few from Patch to start things off. Please add yours to the comments section below.
- Sorry, we got disconnected. I hit a dead spot driving on Fort Hunt Road.
- Has anyone heard what's going in the old Village Wharf?
- Sorry, we got disconnected. I hit a dead spot driving on Old Mill Road.
- Actually, I live in the other Alexandria.
- Sorry, we got disconnected. I hit a dead spot driving on Mount Vernon Memorial Highway.
- Living in Huntington gives new meaning to having a home with a "water view."
- Hope you’re hungry for rotisserie chicken.
- Occupy Belle Haven!
A Patch prize is at stake. A random winner will be drawn on Thursday, Feb. 9. Answer early and often as each time you comment, until the deadline, you increase your chance of winning.