Some people will be clinking their glasses of champagne or waking up late on New Year's Day. Others will be enjoying a runner's high and working up a sweat during these races on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
Running a race is a great way to bond with friends and run in a high-energy environment. It's a healthy way to ring in the New Year - just save your champagne for after the run!
Celebrate the New Year and get a head start on your New Year's resolution by running one of these races in Northern Virginia.
Fairfax Four Miler – Fairfax, VA
- When: Dec. 31, 6 p.m.
- Where: Old Town Fairfax
- Why Run: Pacers Running Stores sponsors this annual four-mile race through the streets of Fairfax. Participants receive a commemorative sweatshirt to keep them toasty.
- How Much?: $40
- Register: http://pacersevents.com/race/fairfax-four-miler/
New Years Resolution Run D.C.
- When: New Year’s Day, 11 a.m.
- Where: Fairfax Corner
- Why Run: The Commitment Day 5K isn’t just a race – it’s a movement encouraging runners and non-runners to take the first step on the first day of the New Year.
- How Much?: Life Time members, $34; non-members, $39. Children 12 and under run free with a paid adult.
- Register: http://www.commitmentday.com/content/washington-dc
Ringing in Hope 10K, 5K
- When: Dec. 31, 1 p.m.
- Where: Ashburn, VA
- Why Run: The Ringing in Hope races support Habitat for Humanity, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Loudoun Abused Women’s Shelter, and Inova Mobile Hope.
- How Much?: 10K, $35; 5K, $30; 1K walk/run: $14
- Register: http://prracing.racebx.com/events/register/50343fe8-8128-4689-bc5d-7633c0a8651f
Rehau Rotary Resolution Race
- When: Jan. 1, 10:20 a.m.
- Where: Leesburg, VA
- Why Run: Run through a scenic course through the beautiful rolling hills of the historic 1000+ acre Morven Park Estate. Proceeds from the race benefit local charities.
- How Much?: 10K, $30; 4K, $34
- Register: http://resolutionrace.com/general-information/