Beyer also won a straw poll March 1 in Mount Vernon. Ten Democrats are running in a primary for the seat that Congressman Jim Moran is giving up after holding the seat since 1990. The primary election is June 10. The winner will be up against Republican Micah Edmond.
A straw poll was held Monday night at the annual St. Patrick's Day party and fundraiser held by Congressman Gerry Connolly, a Democrat who represents Northern Virginia's 11th District on Capitol Hill. The event is Connolly's kick-off for his campaign and attracts Democrats from around Northern Virginia.
Don Beyer: 127
Charniele Herring: 46
Laverne Chatman: 44
Adam Ebbin: 41
Bill Euille: 25
Patrick Hope: 25
Alfonso Lopez: 25
Mark Levine: 22
Bruce Shuttleworth: 4
Nancy Najarian: 1
Derek Hyra: 0
Beyer is a Northern Virginia car dealer who most recently served as the U.S. ambassador to Switzerland from 2009-2013 and served as lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1990-1998.
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors