A fire broke out Saturday morning in a third-floor apartment on the 7900 block of Richmond Highway at Spring Garden Apartments after a halogen lamp caught bedroom drapery on fire, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.
The residents of the Hybla Valley-area apartment, two adults and one child, were not at home when the fire broke out, according to Daniel L. Schmidt, spokesman for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.
Heavy smoke was showing from the apartment eaves and windows when firefighters arrived on the scene Saturday morning at about 10:05 a.m., Schmidt said. "After an aggressive fire attack, firefighters quickly brought it under control."
Fire, smoke and water did about $60,000 in damage, Schmidt said.
The residents were displaced by the fire and the apartment management company made arrangements for them to stay at another apartment. A representative from Red Cross was also on hand to see if the residents needed any assistance.
Saturday afternoon, the smell of smoke still hung in the air. The outside wall surrounding the apartment windows was surrounded with black soot. Three stories below, a blackened mattress and bed springs were lying on the ground surrounded by police tape.
Here are some halogen lamp safety tips from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:
- Always buy a certified lamp as they provide standards to ensure safety.
- Keep combustible materials at least 3 feet from halogen lamps and consider not using them in areas where they might be tipped or overturned.
- Never place lamps near windows, beds or an area where fabric may hang near the top of the lamp.
- Before using the light, ensure you are using the recommended bulb; the wrong bulb can cause the lamp to shatter.
- Shut off the lamp when you leave the room or area.