Fairfax Water is currently working on Phase 2 of the new water main installation along Route 1. Construction on different segments of the highway are underway — including in front of Kings Crossing and the new vintage shop Evolution Home.
According to the webpage for the project, the installation is part of Fairfax Water's program to continually improve water service. Phase 2 of this project includes replacing the cast iron water mains on Route 1 with a water main made with stronger, long lasting materials and which will not be susceptible to water main breaks.
As expected, disruption to traffic has been minimal so far since it began in mid-August. All of the work is expected to be completed in fall of 2014.
Work Locations for September:
- Near the intersection of North Kings Hwy and South Kings Hwy — construction crews installing water main.
- At Kings Crossing Rd – construction crews installing water main in bore pits
- At Groveton St - construction crews installing water main in bore pits
- At Shields Ave - construction crews continue installation of water main south of Shields Ave
- At Southgate Dr - construction crews excavating bore pits