Gerald Read and his wife Cathy spent many of their days tending to their three labradors, Irish Setter and a cat.
The couple, married for 35 years, also started up a small dog walking business — Biscuit Break Pet Service.
"We've always had cats and dogs; we did lab rescue for a long time," Cathy Read said, while sitting in her home in a quiet Mount Vernon neighborhood.
"We've always been animal lovers," she said. "As you get older, we were home more."
When Gerald Read wasn't busy at his job as a project manager in information assurance at the Navy Yard, he enjoyed walking the dogs, taking them to the dog park and training some of them in agility. A black lab, Rod, was his favorite. He was also a "Civil War buff" and enjoyed reading.
Born in a small town, Clearfield, Penn., Gerald met his future wife when he was in college and she was in her senior year of high school.
"I always thought he was good looking," Cathy Read recalled.
Gerald Read spent more than 25 years in the military, served in the military police and did a tour in Korea, his wife said. The two had a daughter, Jessica, and three grandchildren. They eventually settled down in Mount Vernon, where the couple lived for 18 years. He went on to work at the Navy Sea Systems Command, and at 58, had no thoughts of retiring yet, Cathy Read said.
"He loved his work," she said.
Cathy Read said she is on "autopilot" while she tries to process the news of her husband's death at Navy Yard. She never expected to hear the news, delivered to her around 9 p.m. Monday, that Read was among the victims.
"You just try to put it together," she said.
- At Least 12 Dead at Washington Navy Yard, Shooter Killed
- Washington Navy Yard: What it Is, Who Works There
- Washington Navy Yard Shootings: Photos, Coverage, Links From Across the Web
- Security Increased at Regional Military Installations
- DC Navy Commander Witnesses Man Get Shot: 'I Was Running For My Life'
- MCPS Offers Counseling for Students in Wake of DC Shootings
- Washington Navy Yard Shooter's Troubled Past Investigated